Walailak Botanic Park (WBP), Walailak University, is located in the conservation area of University with an area of approximately 1,350 rai, providing academic services and a source of free learning for students also operating as a tourist attraction in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Currently, the area has been continuously developed to make botanical park stand out. The distinctive attractions of WBP consist of:
1. Traditional forest areas where conserve the native plants can be opened for visitors. The natural study route has been developed to have a tower at a height of 25 meters to see the top tree. The area at the bottom of canopy walk way is also a small animal learning ground where botanical gardens are exhibited in natural areas.
2. The Office Area: WBP accommodation service has been given the SHA standards. This area located in the center of the WBP. The building faces a large reservoir, shady atmosphere, and is suitable for recreation. At here provides rooms services with both air-conditioner and fan which can accommodate up to 150 people, Moreover, WBP has a small meeting room to provide training services, camps, seminars and has a tent camping area service for guests enjoying nature.
3. The herb garden located at the area of 16,000 Square meters in WBP. This area has been developed for the collection of medicinal plants and according to the utilization of teaching for the School of Pharmacy, the School of Medicine, and Thai Traditional Medicine Department. The operation is under the supervision of WBP to continuously and systematically procure. Currently, there are more than 200 medicinal plants in the garden. Here, there are the interpretation sign board that conveys detail and knowledge for visitors to know the benefits of each medicinal plant. Furthermore, the herb garden provides a beautiful landscape suitable for jogging and exercising in the garden.
4. Natural History Museum has participated in the Plant Genetic Conservation Project under the royal initiative of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn and there are learning sources around the area where exhibits are collecting various knowledge of plant genetic from the top area of Khao Luang mountain to under the sea. The Natural History Museum has exhibition area about 17,000 square meters (including waterfalls and artificial sea), which divides the exhibition into different parts interconnected through the center of the exhibition room, “Krirk Krai Chao Fa Conservationist” to show the story of King Kanitthathirat’s resources conservation. Moreover, there are six other learning rooms in the museum building. The outside of the building, there are exhibits of drought-resistant wooden greenhouses desert in the dome-shaped building with a floor diameter of 20 meters. This dome has a collection of exotic plants. Other area nearby the museum, there is also the supporting museum of Mani Ethnicity, which presents the lives of indigenous people with the forest in order to appropriately pass the awareness to outsiders and new generations.
5. The Science and Local Wisdom Learning Center building is a source of academic services for students and people of all genders. Inside the building, there are various exhibition room, such as the wisdom room related to forests from the Pak Phanang River Basin, a room for taxidermy displays of animals such as reptiles, squirrels, rodents, different types of birds, green turtles, butterflies. There is a distinctive large whale skeletons exhibit which is the highlight of this room. A room of Human body organs displays knowledge about various parts of the human body even more. An Astronomy room displays the universe which simulates the stars in the solar system and other knowledges about universals and watching stars pilot. Moreover, the area nearby the Science and Local Wisdom Learning Center building is placed the banana garden collected more than 100 banana species, including ornamental banana flowers and Ensete larsiocarpum (Franchet.) Cheeseman which has colorful bananas, and also have bananas that can be eaten such as Kluai Nam Wa, Sao Krub Hom, Khai Hom Thong, etc., within the garden, there are signposts indicating each type of banana so that it can be learned by scanning a QR Code for deep details, and there are also various types of banana shoots that can be planted and propagated to the community.
6. At the entrance of the Walailak Botanical Park (WBP) is a check-in area that has been developed with modern architecture where you can see the reservoir, the Natural History Museum building, and the beautiful Khao Luang Mountain view in the background. Moreover, every Thursday WBP holds a Bota Market under the concept of the green market for the community with a wide variety of food and goods for sale. Furthermore, there are many office rooms under the mound: WBP plan to use these rooms for a souvenir shop, spa treatment room, and cafe coffee for visitors. For more convenience, there is a parking lot contained 400 cars. Soon, the visitors can go in the park by buying reasonable price ticket at the entrance point. Moreover, WBP provides a sightseeing electric bus transferring guests to visit various interested attractions in the park.
Walailak University Botanic Park (WBP) has continued to develop from the past to the present and in the fiscal year 2022. There will be a large orchid greenhouse and 8 other greenhouses that will be exhibited in imitation of nature. At the end of year of 2021, the bamboo collection learning village will be established for visitors.
The highly intention of WBP is committed to develop area of 1,350 Rai to be the most prominent tourist attractions in the south of Thailand.